E-scoop® Improved vision for Macular Degeneration patients
Even with reduced vision caused by glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy or RP it is possible to achieve improved vision with the E-scoop lens.
The E-scoop loupe lens has a special curve, thickness, prism, colour and coating.
These qualities together will project the light onto a different part of the retina and can improve your vision dramatically.
The result of the E-scoop loupe lens is different per person. The best result has been noted when one has a visual acuity between 3% and 45%. In some cases we can see an improvement of 1.5x the current acuity.
E-scoop lenses can offer:
- Partial recovery of a part of the central vision
- Reduction of the sensitivity for day and sunlight
- Better recognition of details, contrast and depth. Available in single vision, in the range shown below, fitted to either a clip-on or glazed to a full rimmed spectacle frame.
If you want more information or to arrange a demonstration please contact Julie.Baines@Norville-Opticians.co.uk
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does E-scoop work?
- Can I order E-scoop lenses in different colours?
- Can I also order the prism base down?
- The prism in E-scoop shifts the image – is it like eccentric viewing spectacles?
- How long does it take to get used to E-scoop?
- In which frames can E-scoop be fitted?
- Which customers are prospects for E-scoop?
How does E-scoop work?
E-scoop is a patented loupe spectacle lens, which is built on a number of basic optical features:
- The thickness and curve of the lens ensures a magnification of 6% for distance.
- The prismatic effect of the lens causes the light to reflect to a different part of the macula, that of higher quality.
- The base of the prism is up, because research shows that the lower part of the macula generally suffers the most damage. So get the image shifted upwards to a healthier part of the macula.
- The yellow colour provides more contrast and a reduction of the sensitivity for daylight and sunlight.
- The anti-reflection coating helps to reduce glare.
Can I order E-scoop lenses in different colours?
- E-scoop lenses are available in clear, yellow and brown.
- The yellow colour is preferred, because of the contrast improvement and glare reduction it provides. The brown colour can be used for sunglasses.
- If your customer prefers the clear version, please note that the sensitivity for light and glare will be increased.
Can I also order the prism base down?
- Yes, of course! If your examination shows that the effect of E-scoop is better with prism base down, you can order it. Please make sure it is clear on the order form!
The prism in E-scoop shifts the image – is it like eccentric viewing spectacles?
- E-scoop is not an eccentric viewing spectacle. Because macular degeneration causes damage in the inferior part of the macula, E-scoop shifts the image up to a healthier part. E-scoop keeps the image in the macular area. Most of the time, people are looking for the best quality of image; using E-scoop spectacles this process is repeatable, whilst also providing a restful view of the image.
How long does it take to get used to E-scoop?
- Adaption time to E-scoop is quick. By putting on their E-scoop spectacles, your customer will experience the positive effect directly.
In which frames can E-scoop be fitted?
- The best results are achieved in plastic or metal full-rim oval frames, which are slightly curved and not too large.
- Rimless and supra frames are not suitable for E-scoop, because of the Index (1.5), thickness, prism and curve.
- A double rimmed frame is not suitable for E-scoop.
Which customers are prospects for E-scoop?
- E-scoop is primarily developed for people with macular degeneration. The beneficial effect of E-scoop spectacles will be experienced at every stage of macular degeneration, despite the progressive character of this condition.
Frans Oosterhof, inventor of the E-scoop lens
“In my work as an optometrist I had been looking for a solution for the poorly sighted for over 20 years.”
Also known as: escoop